How do you see Technique?

As I continue to think and look at how I may approach my research project (still a very daunting task) I've spent a lot of time looking at the different ways in which technique is approached and seen within a class.

I have always considered technique to be very important to my dance training and creating a foundation as a dancer. However, the more I read and research lately I see differing opinions on how important technique is. I find my self establishing more and more questions daily and sometimes find it hard to gather my thoughts together. I don't think its necessarily a bad thing as I know my initial questions will continue to lead to more and I hope better questions, so I continue to ask them. On that note I wonder about other peoples thoughts. As read other peoples blogs I see that a lot of people stand on a non-positivist approach as we all know that dance is so subjective and I think it is important for me to ask these questions that I ask myself to others in my field. I have my own thoughts and feelings about technique but what are yours?

Now when I say technique I think of the more formal contemporary techniques such as Cunningham, Graham, Limon and of course ballet. I personally have a passion for these techniques and the role they play in a dancers training and have done in my own training. I consider them an excellent foundation from which a dancer can then begin to explore and develop their own movement language  and push their bodies to try new and exciting ways of moving, but how do other people see technique.

I would love to hear your thoughts on the importance of technique and the how you teach it or want to learn it. Do you think it's important in a dancers training or do you consider there to be a better way of helping young dancers develop?

How do you construct a dance class? What techniques do you personally use or draw upon? What do you think should be included in dance training today?

Any thoughts or answers you or indeed any students may have on these questions and the subject of technique I would be really keen to hear.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

  1. I suppose I'd first have to define technique... if I were to define it as learning how to move safely, efficiently, and in a generally accepted aesthetic, I'd say that's a primary reason for taking class. Otherwise we'd all just dance in our living rooms.

    If you're defining it as a specific movement style like Vaganova or Limon (which I think is what you're saying), then to me one is the same as the next, in a way. When I was in pedagogy class in undergrad, my (very emphatically Vaganova) teacher used to tell us, it doesn't matter what ballet style you pick. They've all produced great dancers, so just pick one and stick with it and you'll come out all right in the end. I pretty much agree with that, and the same in modern more or less. Skilled dancers come from every technique, and the more styles a dancer is familiar with, the better in my opinion.

    Is that what you were thinking though? Not sure if I quite answered your question...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Introducing List of Sports, the Best and Most Trusted Online Poker.
    Visit => DrawGoal

    ReplyDelete
  3. MEJAQQ.COM AGEN JUDI POKER DOMINOQQ BANDARQ ONLINE TERBESAR DI ASIA
    Yang Merupakan Agen Judi Poker DominoQQ BandarQ Online Terbesar di Asia Hadir Untuk Anda Semua Dengan Games dan Bonus Yang Menarik!

    Kunjungi Sekarang Juga...
    Mejaqq
    Bandarq online

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reflection and Learning

A lovely message.